- About Us
- How We Help
- News & Media
- Get Involved
- Donate Now
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Elana Silber, Director of Operations
Teaneck, New Jersey (September 4, 2013) – Sharsheret, the national not-for-profit organization supporting young women and families, of all Jewish backgrounds, facing breast cancer and ovarian cancer, will celebrate its 12th Anniversary on October 24, 2013 at the Tribeca Rooftop in New York City. Channel 7 Eyewitness News Reporter and two-time cancer survivor, Stacey Sager, will host the Bat Mitzvah Gala, an evening of dinner, dancing, and celebration marking Sharsheret’s 12 years of service to the Jewish community. At the Gala, Sharsheret will recognize the incredible contributions of Guest of Honor Sherry Cohen, who will accept this award on behalf of her daughter Beckie Cohen, a Sharsheret volunteer, and her mother Beatrice Milberg, a breast cancer survivor.
“We are grateful to celebrate with those who have enabled Sharsheret’s incredible growth,” said Founder and Executive Director Rochelle Shoretz. “Just as a Bat Mitzvah comes of age embracing communal responsibility, Sharsheret rejoices at this milestone with renewed strength, dedication, and commitment. Through 12 renowned support and education programs, Sharsheret impacts the lives of tens of thousands of Jewish women and families facing breast cancer and ovarian cancer nationwide.”
For sponsorship opportunities and seat reservations, please visit www.sharsheret.org/gala or call 866.474.2774.
Sharsheret, Hebrew for "chain", is a national not-for-profit organization supporting young women and their families, of all Jewish backgrounds, facing breast cancer. Our mission is to offer a community of support to women diagnosed with breast cancer or at increased genetic risk, by fostering culturally-relevant individualized connections with networks of peers, health professionals, and related resources.
Since Sharsheret's founding in 2001, we have responded to more than 30,000 breast cancer inquiries, involved more than 2,500 peer supporters, and presented over 250 educational programs nationwide. Sharsheret supports young Jewish women and families facing breast cancer at every stage - before, during, and after diagnosis. We help women and families connect to our community in the way that feels most comfortable, taking into consideration their stage of life, diagnosis, or treatment, as well as their connection to Judaism. We also provide educational resources, offer specialized support to those facing ovarian cancer or at high risk of developing cancer, and create programs for women and families to improve their quality of life. All Sharsheret programs are open to all women and men.
Sharsheret offers the following national programs:
The Link Program
• Peer Support Network, connecting women newly diagnosed or at high risk of developing breast cancer one-on-one with others who share similar diagnoses and experiences
• EmbraceTM, supporting women living with advanced breast cancer
• Genetics for Life®, addressing hereditary breast and ovarian cancer
• Thriving Again®, providing individualized support, education, and survivorship plans for young breast cancer survivors
• Busy Box®, for young parents facing breast cancer
• Best Face Forward®, addressing the cosmetic side effects of treatment
• Family Focus®, providing resources and support for caregivers and family members
• Ovarian Cancer Program, tailored resources and support for young Jewish women and families facing ovarian cancer
• Sharsheret SupportsTM, developing local support groups and programs
Education and Outreach Programs
• Health Care Symposia, on issues unique to younger women facing breast cancer
• Sharsheret on Campus, outreach and education to students on campus
• Sharsheret Educational Resource Booklet Series, culturally-relevant publications for Jewish women and their families and healthcare professionals
© Sharsheret 2013
© 2015 Sharsheret: Your Jewish Community Facing Breast Cancer
Sharsheret is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization ID# 13-4198529
Designed by Firefly Partners